Construction planning for the “Coraline” house

Coraline house - startI began the process of designing and planning the construction of the house for the “Coraline” popup diorama I’m working on; it’s proving to be more straight-forward than I had originally thought it might be. I’ve spent about an hour and a half getting it to this point; it shouldn’t take more than a few hours more to complete it. Then I’ll plot out the other three layers and begin construction. Should be fun.

The roof overlay will need to be reworked a little; I didn’t catch the little area of roof that’s visible between the turret and the front eave, and I’ve lost a little detail there. Will be easy to fix. Then I’ll need to work out which details I’ll build up with paper and which will be added in with score lines or colored pencils or watercolors later; at this point, the majority of the major features look like they’ll work well as paper. Will adjust as necessary during construction.

I’m liking how this is going so far. It should be a fun project to complete.

Coraline house planning - layer plans

15 Thoughts on “Construction planning for the “Coraline” house

1. Adam on May 23, 2009 at 8:48 pm said:

Oh, this is Awesome!!
    I would die to have a model of the house!!

2. Andy Bartlett on May 28, 2009 at 6:04 pm said:

Thanks 🙂 This project has been on hold for a while now simply because I haven’t taken the time to get it finished up. Soon, I hope; I’m looking forward to the finished product, for sure.

3. Adam on May 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm said:

will you have this up for sale anywhere?

4. Andy Bartlett on June 1, 2009 at 8:37 pm said:

Hadn’t planned on it. Let me get it finished and see how easy/hard it is; maybe I’ll just make you one. 🙂

5. Adam on June 2, 2009 at 12:37 pm said:

I’d probably get a heart attack if I saw a box marked “coraline model” on my front step!

6. I am also thinking about this house. When I saw it at cinema I thought : I must make it for myself!!! but something more like victorian doll house model

7. I had that exact thought too; but I figured I’d start with something like this that I could actually manage. 🙂 Have toyed with the idea of trying a scratchbuilt model of The Other Mother once the movie’s out on BluRay and I’ll have some source material; we’ll see if that happens.

8. I just checked out your blog; wow. Whatever you do will, without question, turn out better than whatever I do. 🙂 Your models are amazing.

9. marissa on August 7, 2009 at 7:51 am said:

omg!!!i loved this movie!!!!it is my favorite!!!im like coralines biggest fan!!!!i know everything about this movie practically!!!

10. Thanks Andy. Ok its official now, I already cut most of my parts. There is no way back now 🙂 I already spend one weekend to prepare my drawings and testfit it. Its going to look so much better than up house.

11. brian whetstone on August 19, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

o my god i made the same model out of cardboard but its not very detailed and the front isnt wide enuf but its stil recognizable cud u send me how u did it cuz this is the second time i made it and it looks much better then when i first did

12. rebecca on September 8, 2009 at 1:15 pm said:

I LOOVE coraline, i’ve even tried to build the house on sims 3. but then i noticed that the back of the house didn’t look at all like it did in the movie. 🙁
    Im looking forward that you will finish your project 🙂
    Please tell me when it is.
    I would absoluteley DIE if i would get a house sketch of coralines house!

13. sorry, computers been busted for a while, anywho, i’ve also tried to build this model on the sims 3, i have seen only one picture of the back of the house, which is on the collector card, then only the right side of the house, but rarely ever the left, and the inside layout doesn’t match the exterior at all unfortunately. :[

14. Isabelle on March 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

Hello, I am so excited about this house! Could you email me if it goes for sale! I would just love to buy this house!My daughter is CRAZY for coraline! And her birthday is this coming April 11th! i Was going to see if it was up for sale bye then! She is 12 years old turning 13 and if it is up for sale please contact me!

15. Isabelle on March 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm said:

Will this be paper clay or plastic?

Post Navigation