First post of 2012! December was a light month here at the old blog; I didn’t find many occasions to come here and do much. Updates:
• Christmas break is over; today was my first day back in the office after a pretty sweet 10-day break. I didn’t get any farther from home than the theater here in town, save for one jaunt over to Walker for lunch with my awesome wife. Aside from the suckfest that was not having Megan around, it was a really great time with the family. Santa Claus hooked the girls up — Mel has made good use of her shiny new Kitchenaid Pro mixer, serving up breads and other goodness; Helen has joined her parents in video game nerd-dom and is hopelessly addicted to “Skylanders”; Millie got a lot of things in boxes, and as babies do she loves the boxes. I got a new Shop-Vac to replace the one our contractor made off with during the Great Home Improvement Debacle of 2008, and most notably Mel and I joined the ranks of iPhone users.
We had an opportunity to dump Sprint in 2008 and move to AT&T for iPhones; but we did not like AT&T’s plans, especially for multiple phones, so we decided to tough it out with Sprint and get Android phones. We suffered with absolutely awful Samsung Intercept phones for a year and a half (they were so bad by the end there that Mel would call me and the phone would not give me the UI to answer the call in time to actually answer the call before it went to voice mail), and Mel’s incessant rantings at Sprint customer service finally got them to get us phone upgrades early (they initially said “sure, you can upgrade to iPhones — for full retail price of $650 a phone.” Um, no). Big investment for us, but so far we absolutely love them. We’re actually using the data package we’re paying for, and it still takes some adjustment to having phones that actually work (my Intercept, for instance, refused to post photos to Twitter. It’d send them to Facebook just fine, but I never once successfully posted a picture to Twitter).
• Helen moved to a new room upstairs, separating her and Millie for the first time since we moved Millie in there when she started sleeping through the night. She’s super-excited; she’s very proud of her new room. I think it makes her feel grown up. We had put lots of thought into considering how she’d adjust to being upstairs, but had given no thought, really, to how Millie would adjust to not having her sister in her room. Now, when we go in to get her out of her crib in the morning we’re usually greeted with an excited “dada!” or “mama!” followed shortly afterward by a “where sissy go? Sissy sleep?” It’s pretty danged adorable.
• Millie has started talking a lot better in the last week; it’s easily noticeable. She’s putting together complete thoughts and nearly complete sentences, and she’s stringing phrases together. She even demonstrated the other day a great new word that she learned. I had just changed her diaper and told her it was time to go night-night, and she just looked at me, stuck out her pouty lip and said “terrible!” It was awesome.
• Grad school starts up again next week. I have received no email on either of the two courses, and nothing for either course has been posted to D2L. The adventure continues.
• My friend Tony and I started a sketch blog. We’re going to try and post something every week. I’ll talk about it here once we’ve actually done a couple of things with it. 🙂
• I’m a week behind on G.I. Joe comic reviews again. Christmas crushed me. I’m going to try and catch up on last week’s Cobra #8 tonight and prep for G.I. Joe #9 tomorrow (Alex Cal on art – awesome).
That is all. 🙂