In an effort to get back on track with my sketch diary and to actually work toward making sure things are consistently improving, I’m going to start doing a series of brief post mortems here after the Tumblr posts go up to recap what went well and what I still need to improve.
• Monday, Oct. 25, 2010
– cake turned out well. I tried to go for quick and cute. Could’ve put more effort into the flowers on the side; I’ll do better there next time.
– I’m reasonably happy with Mel’s hair.
– Melissa still looks exactly like me, with different hair and a bigger mouth. I need to do a bunch of sketchbook work to polish her character design. I’m not remotely happy with it yet.
– as always, proportions are a disaster. Table is about a foot too high, I still can’t draw hands, she’s got a monster neck, etc. Practice, practice, practice.
I found a website last night that has some low-res versions of eBooks that have figure drawing models. The high-res photos would be nice, but I think there’s more than enough in the low-res versions to get me started. I’m just struggling to find a good entry point; drawing skeletal armatures isn’t quite enough — even though I know full well the lack of fundamental skill in areas like that is a huge part of the reason I’m so terrible at this…