Back to normal (I think)

I’m still in recovery mode a bit from my interview on Wednesday. Even now, four days later, thinking back on it there isn’t anything I wish I could go back and do differently. My day started out with the screening committee; that took about an hour. As per usual practice at BSU, there  were 10 pre-structured questions, and the committee went around the table and took turns asking them of me. Having been through that process on two previous occasions – once for my sports information director job in 2001 and once to remove an interim tag from my associate director of communications and marketing gig in 2008 – I was well-prepared for this, and left this meeting thinking I had done very well. From there, I had a 45-minute meeting with the other members of the staff in my office; they actually had some very good questions about the direction I hoped to take the office if I ended up getting hired, which was a lot of fun for me. I was proud of them for making it a legitimate part of my interview, and it helped keep me in the right frame of mind for the rest of the day.

After that I had a brief meeting with the president and lunch with my friend Lynn. I had a campus tour with a student from admissions; having been around campus for a long time I really didn’t need it, so I just asked her to take me to her favorite buildings on campus and talk to me about why she liked them. That was really fun. After that, I had meetings with the university’s Integrated Marketing Team (which under normal circumstances I am the chair of, so that was weird) and with the university’s leadership council. Only three people were there for that, but the dean of arts and sciences gave me hell — she definitely kept me on my toes and there were a few times where I really had to work to produce good answers to her questions. I enjoyed my exchange with her.

From there, I gave my presentation to the open forum in the union, and that was tough — I did well enough in the performance, but by that point in the day I was tired and I really should’ve had some water with me to help get me through it. My mouth was dry and basically glued shut the entire time, and I worked hard enough to get past that that I actually hurt my throat. 🙂 But the group of 30 or so people who showed up was engaged, they enjoyed the presentation and they had about 15 minutes of questions for me afterward. It was really fun. Over the next two days, I even heard from people who weren’t even at the presentation that they had heard I had done a great job, so that’s pretty awesome.

Now I just get to wait. I don’t have any official information, but understood that the screening committee was meeting Wednesday at 4 p.m. and found out on Thursday that after the committee met Wednesday they forwarded a recommendation to the president. Human resources was supposedly doing reference checks on that person over the next couple of days, so I’m hopeful that I’ll hear something very early this coming week.

I’m honestly not nervous either way; I really want the job, obviously, but I ended Wednesday thinking I had done about as well as I could possibly do, and didn’t feel like I would change anything if I were to have a chance to do it over again. I showed up and competed all day Wednesday, so if I somehow end up not getting the job it’ll be because one of the other three candidates just flat-out beat me.

Things I’m Behind On
Comic book reviews, mostly. For the last couple of weeks my evening time was dedicated to getting homework finished up or doing work on my presentation for my interview, so I didn’t take the time to do any “fun” writing. I have reviews to write for “Cobra #10” from the week before last and for the second issue of the G.I. Joe Retaliation prequel from this past Wednesday. I plan to get to those tonight; I’ll probably do the second issue of the Retaliation prequel first, just because that’ll probably be the easiest one to do. “Cobra” ends with quite a cliffhanger, and I need to make sure I’ve got the circumstances surrounding that down pat before I start writing the review for that issue.

Things I’m Studying
Nothing. Two assignments for one of my grad school classes are due at the end of this week, so in true student fashion I haven’t even started them yet. I’m not terribly concerned. I had an assignment due this past Friday, and I got that taken care of; it was a case brief of the appeal from Vanderbilt’s lawsuit against Gerry DiNardo when he left them to take the head coaching gig at LSU in 1994. Interesting case; Vanderbilt sued him for breech of contract for leaving the school before his contract ended and won at the district court level; the appellate court mostly sided with Vanderbilt but sent the case back to district court for further ruling because it wasn’t clear whether DiNardo’s representation had appropriately agreed to a contract extension before it took effect.

Things I’m Drawing
Again, nothing. 🙂 I started working on a pencil-on-paper copy of a digital painting Stanley “Artgerm” Lau did of Jean Grey, but I took a break after just a half hour or so. I did OK sketching out the upper torso and her arms, but the legs were a disaster and my efforts to fix them weren’t going well — so I just walked away for awhile. I shouldn’t have been surprised; this happens to me all the time, and is part of the reason I’m not improving to the point that I can avoid these kind of roadblocks. I need to start doing more of the work to learn how all the parts fit together, not just try to draw the finished product of arms and legs flying all over the place. I can see what’s happening, but not knowing enough about what’s going on under the surface makes it really difficult for me to assemble the pieces so it looks coherent. So, for later tonight, I grabbed a sketchbook and a pair of primers – Andrew Loomis’ “Figure Drawing for All It’s Worth” and a “How To Draw and Paint Anatomy” special from ImagineFX magazine. Instead of trying to draw “something” after the kids are in bed tonight, I’m instead going to do some foundational work on the basics and see if that helps me. It’ll be fun regardless, so I’m looking forward to it.

Things I’m Watching
I finally had some time to watch last week’s episode of “The Walking Dead” last night, and now that they’ve finally put the conflict between Rick and Shane front-and-center, this show is really, really good again. The season two premier was not good at all, and most of the storyline while Rick’s group has been holed up at Herschel’s farm has been pretty average compared to the first six episodes, but the last three weeks this show has been great again.

Similar rebound for “Archer” this week after a pretty disappointing episode last week. Sterling hooking up with Pam is just pure comedy gold, and their unholy coupling gave birth to one of the funniest episodes of this show yet.

Something goofy happened on ABC this week, and everything started late – so I missed “Revenge” and something else. I’ll have to catch Revenge from online at some point, or from OnDemand.

All for now. 🙂

Andy Bartlett

By day, I am the executive director of communications and marketing at Bemidji State University. The rest of the time, I'm a husband, father of three, and proponent of super heroes, lasers, space ships and explosions.

You may also like...

%d bloggers like this: